This will be an open session for people who are new to the learning and technology (eLearning) field. I will provide resources, tips, tricks, suggestions, etc. I’ll do my best to help people get on the right track. I figured I would break my information into these groups:
- Learning Management Systems / AICC / SCORM
- Tools and technologies
- Useful blogs, eBooks, and books
- (e)Learning 2.0
I believe I only have an hour, so I will be covering these from a very high-level; however, I will be available each day at the conference, and I’ll be happy to chat if anybody wants more info.
So, what advice would you give to people starting out in the field of learning and technology?
I’ll start out with these…
- Never trust a vendor that says they are 100% SCORM compliant. Always test courses thoroughly in your LMS before agreeing to any type of purchase.
- Exciting and flashy interactions do not always equal effective learning.
- Don’t create boring eLearning; people will fall asleep if they aren’t engaged. Use techniques like storytelling to get (and keep) your learners’ attention.
- Always read eLearning Weekly. 🙂
Please chime in if you have any other advice and I’ll be sure to pass it along. Thanks!
Author: B.J. Schone
B.J. is the Founding Editor of eLearning Weekly and has contributed more than 150 articles. He works in elearning at Qualcomm, focusing on mobile learning.